Russia is preparing for a long war against Ukraine, to which NATO will continue to supply weapons Until President Vladimir Putin understood that he “can’t win on the battlefield.”He told the news agency on Friday AFP Chairman of the Atlantic Alliance, Jens Stoltenberg.
Nearly ten months after Russia invaded Ukraine, Kiev’s forces inflicted a series of defeats on Moscow and liberated parts of the territory. But still “There is nothing to indicate that Putin has abandoned his goal of controlling Ukraine”The Secretary General of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) warned.
“We should not underestimate Russia. Prepare for a long battle”, announced Stoltenberg AFP. “It is mobilizing more forces, prepared to suffer more casualties, and trying to access weapons and ammunition,” he stressed.
“We have to understand that President Putin is ready to stay in this war for a long time and launch new attacks,” he said.
NATO countries, led by the United States, have provided Ukraine with billions of dollars worth of weapons to help it stand up to Russia.
“Most likely, this war will end at the negotiating table, like most wars.”Dice Stoltenberg.
Any solution must ensure that “Ukraine remains a sovereign and independent state,” he stressed.
“The quickest way to achieve this is to support them militarily, so that President Putin understands that he cannot win on the battlefield, but he must sit down to negotiate in good faith,” he stressed.
Following the backlash on the ground, Russia launched missile and drone strikes against civilian energy infrastructure.
According to US reports, Washington is finalizing plans for the deployment Most advanced Patriot missile batteries In Ukraine, it will add to other Western air defense systems already provided to Kyiv.
Stoltenberg said “a discussion is ongoing” to deliver the Patriots, but stressed that NATO countries must ensure they have enough ammunition and spare parts to keep the weapons deployed so far.
Ukraine’s weapons demand reduced stockpiles of allies And there are fears that the Alliance’s defense industries will not be able to produce enough.
“We have increased our production for that precise purpose so that we can both rebuild our own deterrence and defense reserves and continue to support Ukraine in the long term,” Stoltenberg said.
Putin’s invasion of Ukraine shocked the West. It forced NATO to make its biggest adaptation since the end of the Cold War, with a massive strengthening of its eastern flank. Additionally, Finland and Sweden were forced to ask to join the alliance.
“This is the most dangerous security crisis we have seen in Europe since World War II.”Stoltenberg said. “It’s a defining moment,” he insisted.
Despite Putin’s recent downplaying of nuclear threats, the official noted that NATO remains vigilant and will continue to monitor what they are doing.
“Nuclear rhetoric with hints of possible use of nuclear weapons is irresponsible and dangerous”, said the NATO leader. “His goal is to discourage us from supporting Ukraine, but he will not succeed,” he added.
Jens Stoltenberg’s term as NATO chief was extended by one year in March, ending at the end of 2023. The 63-year-old former Norwegian prime minister did not indicate whether he would step down definitively next year. I don’t have any other plans, he said.
He declined to comment on calls by some allies to replace him with a woman, a first for the coalition.
“My goal is to fulfill my responsibilities as NATO Secretary General so that the alliance stays together,” he declared. “That is my only concern, and then I leave it to the heads of state and government to decide who will succeed me.”
(By Max Delaney – AFP)