ELN response after decision to suspend ceasefire

The National Liberation Army (ELN) spoke in the last few hours in response to the announcement by the government of President Gustavo Pedro to resume military operations against these guerrillas.

“The military and police forces retain full powers in the offensive against the National Liberation Army (ELN) and it is precisely the offensive that we have suspended, The attack will remain rampant until the suspension ordered today is lifted” said Interior Minister Alfonso Prada.

The minister, however, asked the body to announce a verifiable ceasefire when the bilateral ceasefire is analyzed in future.

“On the basis of the desire for peace expressed by the ELN, we invite this organization to declare a verifiable fight in response to the imperative call of the ethno-regional and agrarian communities, when the bilateral ceasefire is examined at the table of ethical dialogue. Peace, bilateral ceasefire and non-violence in their territories. ‘Total peace’ To build, the national government will not give up the quest for respect for life,” stated the Pedro government.

After this announcement, the ELN issued a brief communication in which it limited itself to announcing that it would analyze what the government had said.

“Like we did in December, We are going to analyze the government’s announcement with our national directorate and at the same time we are starting a new round of talks,” the guerrilla group pointed out.

All this situation occurred after the crossover of versions between the government and the illegal group. When President Pedro came out to say that a bilateral ceasefire had been agreed upon, the ELN insisted that there was no agreement.

See also  Ukraine has asked Russia to be expelled from the United Nations over Putin's invasion

I mean this guerilla It is one of six illegal armed groups that have declared their interest in being part of the so-called ‘Total Peace’. That the two sides did not agree to a cease-fire agreement.

The whole episode, created by the crossover of versions between President Pedro and the guerrilla group, has created concern about what really happened.

To put an end to speculations, Minister Prada explained that according to the national government, the ceasefire determination began as a result of a call gathered from the outcry of communities in the areas of intervention. ELN and other criminal organizations. , calling for a ceasefire.

Interior Minister Alfonso Prada announced the suspension of the ceasefire with the ELN. – Photo: Presidency

“The bilateral ceasefire is mainly a response to communities and social organizations demanding peace in the region. This conclusion is supported By the Secretary-General of the United Nations, by the Colombian Bishops’ Conference, by the Ombudsman, by the world churches and the international community”, he emphasized.

In addition, the senior official several days ago raised the need for the ELN itself to assess the need to initiate a bilateral ceasefire, calling on the administration to take pro-peace measures.

“The ELN has, on several occasions, raised the importance of moving forward with a bilateral ceasefire. On December 19, after the organization announced a unilateral ceasefire, “He asked the national government to act on its desire for peace and explore the possibility of a bilateral ceasefire,” Prada explained.

Immediately, the Minister of the Interior said that the national government and, in particular, President Pedro, had decreed a bilateral halt to the situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *