Good Morning Nigeria! Hope you all are still doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19!
Here’s our picks on today’s top buzzy stories on Daily Trust Newspaper. We prepare it as a quick-read for our visitors who also enjoys Daily Trust News.
2023: APC Leaders Want To Rubbish Tinubu — S/West Group
The agitation for 2023 presidency of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, APC National Leader, has garnered more support as a South-West group asks the APC to cede the ticket to him.
The group, under the aegis of Disciples of Jagaban (DOJ), however, raised an alarm that some leaders of the party want to rubbish the APC Chieftain.
National Coordinator of the group, Comrade Abdulhakeem Adegoke-Alawuje, told newsmen in Lagos that no amount of opposition would undermine Tinubu, describing him as the most courageous, staunchest politician in Nigeria. He stressed that Tinubu was the only politician that has remained consistent and worked for the ruling party to gain power without considering any material gain.
Boko Haram Frees Chibok Pastor
The EYN Pastor, Bulus Yikura, who was kidnapped by the Boko Haram insurgents in December 2020 during the Christmas festivities, was released on Wednesday evening.
A reliable source who spoke in confidence said his release was facilitated by the Department State Services (DSS) and Kalthum Foundation for Peace in Maiduguri, Borno State. The pastor is presently in custody of the DSS undergoing debriefing.
Boko Haram has released a video of the abducted Pastor Yikura, threatening to execute him yesterday (Wednesday), March 3rd, if ransom was not paid.
EndSARS: Youths Stole $2m, N17m From My Palace – Oba Akiolu
The Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, on Wednesday disclosed that $2m and N17m were carted away by youths who attacked his palace during the violence that greeted the EndSARS protests last year.
Some youths had, on 21 October 2020, attacked the Oba’s palace located at Iga Idugaran, destroyed valuable property, and also carted away his staff of office and other artefacts.
Oba Akiolu who spoke at the official handover ceremony of the remodeled Glover Memorial Hall at Customs Street in Lagos Island said he had avoided counting losses from the attack in public but regretted that Lagos suffered a huge destruction. According to him, those who attacked his palace were ignorant of the implication of what they did.
ACF Asks Buhari To Extend Flight Ban To Benue, Taraba, Borno
The Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to extend the recent flight ban on Zamfara State to other states affected by banditry.
President Buhari had on Tuesday declared Zamfara “a no-fly zone” and also banned all mining activities in the state. The directive, disclosed by the National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Monguno, followed the release of 279 students of the Government Secondary School, Jangebe, in Talata-Mafara Local Government Area earlier abducted by bandits.
In a statement on Wednesday, ACF’s Chairman, Audu Ogbeh, commended the directive and hailed the release of the girls. Chief Ogbeh, however, said there was need to replicate similar directive in other states such as Benue, Taraba and Borno where there are rumours that helicopters frequently drop arms for bandits and insurgents.
101 Soldiers Abscond After Marte, Dikwa Attacks
The Nigerian Army has declared 12 officers and 86 soldiers missing in the wake of last week’s Boko Haram attacks on Marte and Dikwa local government areas of Borno State.
A signal dated March 1, 2021 from Operation Lafiya Dole Headquarters in Maiduguri, sighted by the Daily Trust, showed that the soldiers were declared as deserters.
It indicated that three majors, three captains, six lieutenants, three sergeants and 89 soldiers fled in the aftermath of the attacks on Marte and Dikwa.
Zamfara Governor Offers To Resign Over Rising Insecurity
Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara has offered to resign if taking such step will bring a lasting solution to the high level of insecurity in his state.
“If I know that my resigning as a governor will make the people sleep with their two eyes closed, I can resign. I am ready to do what will bring security. I am not power-hungry. I have been having a sleepless night to protect the people of Zamfara state.”
Zamfara is one of the north-west states affected by banditry. Many persons have been killed while countless people have been abducted in attacks by different armed gangs.
One Shot Dead As Violence Breaks Out In Jangebe
At least one person has been killed while some have sustained injuries in Jangebe, the Zamfara community where some schoolgirls were abducted last week. After the students regained freedom, the government took them for counselling and rehabilitation.
On Wednesday, they were brought back to the school to reunite with their family members. Pandemonium broke out after anxious parents disrupted the speech of Alhaji Nasiru Muazu Magarya, Speaker of the Zamfara House of Assembly, and forcefully took their daughters away.
The schoolgirls, who arrived at the school in the evening, were seated in the examination hall and were being addressed by the speaker when the visibly disturbed parents broke in to the hall and started throwing insults at the dignitaries that were meant to address the parents and the school girls. Shots were fired by security operatives to disperse the crowd that was waiting outside the school. The youths began to throw stones at the security operatives that were moving out of the community.
Food Dealers: Northerners, Southerners Suffered But We Achieved Our Aim
The Cattle and foodstuff dealers under the auspices of the Amalgamated Union of Foodstuffs and Cattle Dealers in Nigeria (AUFCDN), on Wednesday said the aim of the strike it embarked upon was achieved.
Addressing journalists after a reconciliatory meeting at the Kogi State governor’s lodge in Abuja, President of AUFCDN, Muhammed Tahir, said the leadership of the union had directed aggrieved members to allow peace in the country. He said the government, represented by Kogi State governor, Yahaya Bello, reached an agreement with them to ensure protection of their members, stop all forms of multiple taxation and intimidation from security officials on the highways.
“All the stakeholders and members of AUFCDN in our nationwide strike are glad we achieved what we wanted to achieve. Since the Governor of Kogi state, Yahaya Bello begged us on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria, we agreed to call off the nationwide strike today.
Mr. Joseph Simeon is an Editor/Content Creator at Naija Buzz News. He is an experienced content creator. He currently leads a small group of talented writers at Naija Buzz News. He previously served as the Relationship Editor at 1Push.Ng. He studied Public Administration at the Federal Polytechnic Idah, Kogi State, before proceeding to Kaduna Polytechnic Kaduna for his Advance Studies in Public Administration. Simeon loves and enjoys playing football.