Vanguard Newspaper

Vanguard Newspaper Headlines (Thursday, 21 January, 2021)

COVID-19

Good Morning Nigeria! Hope you all are doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19!

Here’s our picks on today’s top buzzy stories on Vanguard Newspaper. We prepare it as a quick-read for our visitors who also enjoys Vanguard News.

COVID-19: NCDC reports 1,386 new infections

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has recorded 1,386 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 114,691. The NCDC disclosed this on its official website on Wednesday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Nigeria has so far tested 1,198,758 people since the first confirmed case of COVID-19 was recorded on Feb. 27, 2020.

The NCDC said 14 new COVID-19 patients were confirmed dead in the last 24 hours, while the total death toll stood at 1,478. The health agency website showed that Nigeria had successfully treated and discharged 92,336 COVID-19 patients, following the discharge of 1,136 additional patients in the last 24 hours.

APC government behind disunity among Nigerians — Lamido

Ex-Jigawa state governor, Sule Lamido has faulted the All Progressives Congress (APC) led Buhari’s government for causing disunity amongst Nigerians since it took over in 2015.

Sule Lamido dropped the hints yesterday at the formal inauguration of a 29 man reconciliation committee of the state People’s Democratic Party (PDP), said the APC had before emerged victorious in the 2015 elections accused PDP of the brain behind Boko Haram, corruption and all forms of evil bedevilled the country.

His words:- “Even though they accused us with Boko Haram, today more daring criminality of banditry and kidnapping is being perpetrated under their nose without any solution in sight. People are being maimed, killed in their homes, towns and villages completely sacked while their women were subjected to utter humiliation under the watchful eyes of those in power today”.

Yoruba elders back Akeredolu on quit notice to herders

Elders in the South West have thrown their weight behind the governor of Ondo State, Chief Rotimi Akeredolu’s quit notice to herders to quit the forests in the state following the growing cases of kidnappings traced to criminals hiding in the areas.

The elders, who also took swipe at the Presidency over the latter’s statement cautioning the governor against his directive, accused the Presidency of undue meddling in issues within the purview of the state.

Recall that following the high rate of kidnappings in Ondo State, allegedly committed by criminals hiding in forests across the state, the governor had given herdsmen a seven-day ultimatum to vacate the areas. But reacting, after Fulani leadership under the aegis of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria, MACBAN, cried out over the governor’s action, the Presidency in a statement by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, cautioned the governor against his action, saying the herders cannot leave the dreaded forests for any reason.

APC warns against hijack of membership registration, revalidation

The Chairman, Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee, CECPC, of ruling All Progressives Congress APC, Governor Mai Mala Buni, has warned critical stakeholders of the party against hijacking its membership registration and revalidation slated to commence on January 25.

He gave the charge on yesterday in Abuja when he inaugurated a committee on the membership registration/revalidation.

According to him, the party has not had the opportunity of renewing its membership register since the initial registration in 2014.

FG offers former N-Power beneficiaries exit strategies

Beneficiaries of the N-Power initiative who have concluded the two-year job programme will now be able to access permanent job opportunities or business prospects in line with the N-power exit strategy now activated by the Muhammadu Buhari administration.

Under the plan, 200,000 beneficiaries will be engaged as financial services operators under a Shared Agent Network Expansion Facility (SANEF) scheme operated by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Another 30,000 have already been engaged as geospatial experts and enumerators in the Economic Sustainability Plan’s Mass Agric programme while several others will have the option of benefiting from the GEEP micro-enterprise loans.

NIN-SIM linkage: Don’t block anybody from networks till Feb 9 — Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari ordered yesterday that no subscriber should be blocked from telecom operators’ networks till February 9, 2021.

Subscribers, who pleaded for further extension, would have had their lines blocked January 19, being the initial deadline for them to link their SIMs to their National Identity Number, NIN.

On December 15, 2020, the Federal Government declared that after December 30, 2020, all SIMs that were not registered with valid NINs on the network of telecommunications companies would be blocked. It later extended the deadline following widespread opposition against the earlier announcement and gave three weeks’ extension for subscribers with NIN from December 30, 2020, to January 19, 2021. It also gave six weeks’ extension for subscribers without NIN from December 30, 2020, to February 9, 2021.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Naija News

To Top