Vanguard Newspaper

Vanguard Newspaper Headlines (Monday, 18 January, 2021)

Nigeria Police

Good Morning Nigeria! Hope you all are doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19!

Here’s our picks on today’s top buzzy stories on Vanguard Newspaper. We prepare it as a quick-read for our visitors who also enjoys Vanguard News.

IGP lauds police personnel for repelling bandits’ attack

The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr Mohammed Adamu, has commended personnel attached to Police Mobile Force – 9 Squadron, Kano, for repelling attack on their convoy by bandits in Kaduna State. The Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), Mr Frank Mba, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.

He said officers who were on their way back to their base in Kano after completing a special duty were attacked on Friday along the Birnin-Gwari Funtua Highway. According to him, the officers are personnel attached to Operation Puff Adder and deployed to Niger State in the sustained operation to reclaim public space.

He said the team was deployed to tackle incidences of banditry, kidnapping and other violent crimes in the area.

Ekiti battles insecurity, set aside N1.4bn for Amotekun in 2021 budget

The Ekiti Government, on Sunday, said it was not taking anything to chance in 2021 addressing the growing insecurity in the state, particularly kidnapping. It, therefore, voted N1.4billion for the State Security Network, codenamed Amotekun Corps, in its 2021 budget.

The Commissioner for Budget, Mr Femi Ajayi made this known at a press conference in Ado Ekiti where he gave the detailed analysis of the N109.666 budget passed by the state legislative and recently assented to by Gov. Kayode Fayemi. Ajayi said that the priority to security was in a bid to further attract investment and ensure the safety of all investors and residents.

” Following the incessant security challenges which include kidnapping, herders/farmers clashes, robberies in the country, to ensure the security of lives and properties, Governor Kayode Fayemi inaugurated the Ekiti State Security Trust Fund coined ‘Amotekun’ in collaboration with the other South-Western States on 19th October 2020. “A sum of N1.44 billion has been earmarked as capital allocation for Amotekun Corps. For the procurement of Drones for surveillance, a sum of N550 million has been earmarked while a total of N320 million will be spent on safety city project and the Ekiti State Security Trust Fund will gulp a sum of N55 million,” the commissioner said.

COVID-19: NCDC records 1,444 new infections, total now 110,387

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has recorded 1,444 new cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country. The NCDC disclosed this on its official website late on Sunday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the country has tested 1,154,138 people since the first confirmed case of COVID-19 was recorded on Feb. 27, 2020.

According to the public health agency, the new infections has taken the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases to 110,387, which includes 89,317 discharged cases and 1,435 deaths. The agency said the 1,444 new cases were registered from 20 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in the past 24 hours.

Ekiti Govt relaxes curfew, restrictions, orders schools to reopen Monday

Ekiti State Government on Sunday night announced that the curfew it imposed on the state from 8 pm to 6 am, including various other restrictions, had been relaxed.

Consequently, the curfew is now to commence at 10 pm and end at 6 am as a result of school activities and other economic factors.

Mr Akin Omole, the Commissioner for Information and Values Orientation, made this known in a statement made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ado Ekiti, saying Gov. Kayode Fayemi gave approval for the development. He said the government had also ordered public and private schools in the state to re-open for the second term of the 2020/21 session from Monday 18th Jan. 2021.

Scholarship: Zulum pays 23, 776 Borno tertiary students 624m

Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State, has released N624.3 million for the payment of scholarship to 23,776 citizens of Borno State in 49 tertiary schools across Nigeria.

Commissioner for Higher Education, Science, Technology and Innovation, Dr Babagana Mustapha Mallambe, who announced this in a statement yesterday, informed that payment to students had begun with N320 million paid to students in nine institutions, under the first batch while payment for the second batch of students would start today (January 18) , with N304.3 million to be disbursed.

According to him, “From a total of N624,370,000 approved and released by His Excellency, Prof Babagana Zulum, for scholarship to 23,776 Borno students, the ministry has disbursed N320 million under the first batch, to students in nine tertiary schools located in Borno State. “Those paid include part four and five students of University of Maiduguri, students in Borno State University, Ramat Polytechnic Maiduguri, Sir Kashim Ibrahim College, College of Education Waka – Biu, Mohammed Goni College of Legal and Islamic Studies, College of Business Administration Konduga, Umar Ibn Ibrahim College of Education, Science and Technology-Bama and those in Mohammet Lawan College of Agriculture.”

Most Igbo vying for Presidency position are Caliphate bred traitors – IPOB

The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, yesterday, gave reason for its refusal to support Nigerian President of Igbo extraction, saying that all the people being prepared for the position are stooges that will be used against the interest of Ndigbo, Biafrans and the Biafra-agitating groups.

IPOB also alleged that the people at the fore front of the agitation were people who openly worked against late Dr Alex Ekwueme, at Jos PDP convention for the candidature of the President of Nigeria under PDP in 1999, the brightest chance Ndigbo had for the position.

IPOB, in a statement, by its Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, alleged that what such people did to Late Dr Ekwueme was similarly, done by the likes to Mr Peter Obi, in 2019, when he contested with Atiku Abubakar as running mate, alleging that they conspired and did not support or campaign for Mr Obi despite being in the same political party – PDP, with him.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Naija News

To Top