Punch Newspaper Review

Punch Newspaper Headlines (Friday, 15 January, 2021 Edition)

Presidential Task Force on COVID-19

Good Morning Nigeria! Hope you all are doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19!

Here’s our picks on today’s top buzzy stories on Punch Newspaper. We prepare it as a quick-read for our visitors who also enjoys Punch News.

COVID-19: Ignore fake lockdown alert, PTF tells Nigerians

The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 has urged Nigerians to disregard a fake fresh lockdown alert in circulation on social media. PTF National Coordinator, Dr Sani Aliyu, made this known in a short video statement released on Thursday.

There have been concerns regarding a fresh lockdown as the country battles the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic. But Aliyu said the government was aware of the economic implication of a fresh lockdown and, therefore, urged Nigerians to adhere to all guidelines to curb the spread of the disease.

He said, “We are aware of a fake message on WhatsApp that we’ve declared a lockdown in the country. This is absolutely not true. I call on the Nigerian public to please ignore this message and continue with normal activities. I’m also calling on the public to abide by the non-pharmaceutical interventions including wearing of face masks in the public, washing of hands and maintaining physical distancing.

CAN defends Kukah, demands arrest of people threatening bishop

The Christian Association of Nigeria, on Thursday, cautioned those threatening the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto, Matthew Hassan Kukah, including the Muslim Solidarity Forum, to stop their actions and warning that “enough is enough.”

While calling on security agencies to guarantee the safety and security of the bishop, CAN said it had been watching the unfolding scenario since Kukah spoke his mind on the state of the nation in his Christmas message “and how some groups of people have been threatening him with fire and brimstone, while all relevant security agencies are pretending as if nothing unusual is happening.”

The General Secretary of CAN, Joseph Daramola, issued the warning in a statement entitled: ‘No harm should befall Bishop Kukah’.

CNG, Middle Belt fume as Buhari says Boko Haram attacks occasional

The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Thursday, described the Boko Haram attacks in the North-East as occasional problems. He, therefore, appealed to his critics to be fair when criticising his regime. The President said they should compare his achievements with those of his predecessors and the problems he inherited.

In the statement titled “Criticise us fairly, President Buhari appeals to Nigerian elite,” Buhari asked his critics to consider the resources available to the Federal Government under his watch while criticising him.

But groups, including the Middle Belt Forum, Chibok community, the Borno Concerned Elders and Coalition of Northern Groups, in their separate reactions, faulted the President.

FG bans assemblies, overcrowding, others as schools resume Monday

The Federal Government, on Thursday, banned overcrowding and large gatherings such as assemblies and visiting days, as schools reopen on Monday.

It also put limitations to class sizes and hostel occupancy and asked the schools to ensure compulsory wearing of face masks by all students, teachers and workers, as well ensure temperature checks and put hand washing facilities in strategic locations in all schools

The government also asked the school authorities to ensure constant supply of water and sanitisers, and make available functional health clinics with facilities for isolation and transportation of suspected cases to medical facilities.

Northern elders, Kukah, Obi, others warn of another civil war

A former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi; the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Matthew Kukah and the Northern Elders Forum said on Thursday that Nigeria was repeating its mistakes that led to the civil war which lasted from July 6, 1967 to January 15, 1970.

Speaking at a webinar, they cautioned that unless something urgent was done, the aftermath of the ongoing injustice, poor governance and leadership failure in the country would be worse than what was experienced during the civil war.

The online conference with the theme, ‘The 2nd Never Again Conference: 51 years after the Nigerian-Biafran civil war,’ was hosted by Nzuko Umunna, an Igbo Think Tank, in partnership with Ovation International and Njenje Media, while a prominent economist, Prof Pat Utomi, was the chairman, planning committee.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Naija News

To Top