Good Morning Nigeria! Hope you all are doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19!
Here’s our picks on today’s top buzzy stories on Punch Newspaper. We prepare it as a quick-read for our visitors who also enjoys Punch News.
Buhari, Osinbajo, SGF to take COVID-19 vaccine on live telecast
The Executive Director, National Primary Health Care Development Agency, Faisal Shuaib, has said the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.); Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo; the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha; and other prominent Nigerians will be among the first set to receive the COVID-19 vaccine on live television to help drive awareness.
He said at the weekly press briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja on Thursday, “On Tuesday, I mentioned that we will like to see a situation where Mr President, the Vice President, the SGF, critical leaders come and take the vaccine in full glare of the public to demonstrate that this vaccine is safe.
“So, we have to make provisions for those. But even in developed countries, what we have seen is that apart from the prioritisation of health workers, you have to also identify critical leaders that you don’t want them to be wiped off by the virus.”
Ondo monarch petitions IGP over killing, palace destruction
The traditional ruler of Ode community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, Oba Adewale Boboye, has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, over the alleged murder of three of his subjects and wanton destruction of property by assailants, who invaded his palace in December.
They allegedly attacked the palace of the monarch, killed three persons and set the palace ablaze last month. It was gathered that a land dispute between the Ode community and the neighbouring Isinigbo might be responsible for the attack.
The monarch alleged that some individuals from the Isinigbo community masterminded the havoc wreaked on his community, adding that his antagonists supervised the burning of his palace on December 10, 2020.
Dickson’s qualification suit: Appeal Court faults lower court, orders reassignment
The Court of Appeal sitting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has ruled that the immediate past Bayelsa State Governor, Seriake Dickson, has a case to answer in the suit seeking to disqualify him from contesting the recently concluded Bayelsa West senatorial election.
Also, the three-man panel of the court disagreed with the Federal High Court’s decision to dismiss the matter, saying the judgment of the lower court was wrong. The panel presided over by Justice U. Onyemenam on Thursday ordered the suit to be reassigned to another Federal High Court judge.
The appellant, Owoupele Eneoriekumoh, had through his lawyers, Pius Pius and Ebikebuna Aluzu, approached the Court of Appeal seeking to set aside the ruling of the Federal High Court sitting in Yenagoa. The court in Yenagoa presided over by Justice J. Inyang had dismissed the case on the grounds that it was statute-barred.
Lagos building 10 oxygen tents to battle COVID-19 – Sanwo-Olu
Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Thursday, met behind closed doors with the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
At the end of the meeting, the governor told State House correspondents that more patients in the state were in need of oxygen, hence the decision of his government to build 10 oxygen tents.
Sanwo-Olu regretted that the state remained the epicentre of the COVID-19 in the country, while noting that the second wave appeared more infectious than the first.
Military dominating counter-insurgency war in North-East, says DHQ
The Defence Headquarters has said Boko Haram insurgents are targeting and attacking local communities in the North-East because the military is dominating the counter-insurgency war.
The military also said that troops had been carrying out aggressive patrol backed by intelligence obtained through constant air reconnaissance by the Nigerian Air Force.
The terrorists have reportedly scaled up their attacks on vulnerable communities lately, but the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. John Enenche, promised that the troops would improve on their tactics. He stated this in Abuja on Thursday during the weekly briefing on internal security operations by the armed forces.
Mr. Joseph Simeon is an Editor/Content Creator at Naija Buzz News. He is an experienced content creator. He currently leads a small group of talented writers at Naija Buzz News. He previously served as the Relationship Editor at 1Push.Ng. He studied Public Administration at the Federal Polytechnic Idah, Kogi State, before proceeding to Kaduna Polytechnic Kaduna for his Advance Studies in Public Administration. Simeon loves and enjoys playing football.