Good Morning Nigeria! Hope you all are doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19!
Here’s our picks on today’s top buzzy stories on Nigerian Tribune Newspaper. We prepare it as a quick-read for our visitors who also enjoys Tribune.
Nigeria Records 576 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 89,163
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has recorded 576 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 89,163. The NCDC disclosed this on its official Twitter handle on Saturday.
“On the 2nd of January 2021, 576 new confirmed cases and 8 deaths were recorded in Nigeria. “Till date, 89163 cases have been confirmed, 74789 cases have been discharged and 1302 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
“The 576 new cases are reported from 15 states- Lagos (277), FCT (90), Oyo (51), Nasarawa (49), Sokoto (23), Anambra (14), Bauchi (11), Imo (11), Kano (11), Edo (10), Plateau (10), Ogun (9), Osun (5), Jigawa (3), and Rivers (2). “Our discharges today include 287 community recoveries in Lagos State and 60 community recoveries in Plateau State managed in line with guidelines.,” the NCDC said.
Police Confirm Arrest Of Sowore, Four Others
The Nigeria police have confirmed the arrest of the publisher of Sahara Reporters, Mr Omoyele Sowore, and four other suspects charged with leading an “unlawful” gathering in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.
Sowore and some activists had mobilised Nigerians for the planned #CrossoverWithProtest, procession to be held across the country on New Year eve, which police said the gathering at odd hours had created tension in Gudu and Lokogoma areas of the FCT.
When contacted on Sowore’s arrest, the Spokesperson for the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Police Command, ASP Mariam Yusuf, said that he was arrested along with other four suspects “for unlawfully gathering at very odd hours, thereby causing palpable tension amongst the residents of Gudu and Lokogoma areas of the FCT.” She explained that the arrest of five suspects were made “in a swift response to a distress call received from some tensed residents on 1st January,2021 at about 0030hrs(12:30am) of an unusual gathering and movement by a group of persons along Gudu-Lokogoma axis.”
Kidnapped Owerri Catholic Bishop, Driver Released
The kidnapped Auxiliary Bishop of Owerri Archdiocese, Moses Chikwe and his driver Robert Ndubuisi, have been released. According to a statement of the Archdiocese of Owerri, made available to Vatican News, Bishop Chikwe and his driver were released on the evening of the New Year, 1 January.
“With gratitude to God, I hereby inform all Christ’s Faithful and People of Goodwill everywhere that at about 10:00 pm on 1 January 2021, His Lordship, Most Rev. Moses Chikwe and Mr Ndubuisi Robert, his driver, who were abducted in the evening of Sunday the 27 December 2020 were finally released.
“I personally visited and saw Bishop Chikwe in his residence at about 10:45 pm, looking very weak from the traumatic experience. Nevertheless, we continue to thank Almighty God for His goodness to us. At the time of my visit, Mr Ndubuisi Robert, the driver, was unavailable because he had been speedily taken to the hospital for the treatment of a deep cut he received on his hand from the kidnappers,” said the Archbishop of Owerri, Anthony Obinna.
After 20 Years, Alaafin Visits Soun, Duo Sues For Peace
The duo of Alaafin of Oyo and Soun of Ogbomosoland, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III and Oba Oladunni Oyewumi Ajagungbade III have called on Nigerians to embrace peace and harmony in a bid to move the country forward. The visit of the Alaafin to the Soun of Ogbomoso came 20 years after the Alaafin visited the Soun’s palace.
The Alaafin, who arrived the expansive Ogbomoso palace alongside his wives, Ayaba Memunat and Folasade on Saturday at 3.50 pm, was ushered into the inner chamber of the palace by the wife of the Soun, Ayaba Olaronke Oyewumi.
Speaking, Alaafin stressed that he was in Ogbomoso palace to seek counsel from the nonagenarian monarch among other issues. In his remarks, Soun who expressed delight over the visit said the last visit of Alaafin was about 20 years ago. The visit lasted 25 minutes.
Save Your Administration From Going Into Extinction By Embarking On People’s Oriented Programmes, Mbaka Warns Buhari
Catholic Priest and Founder of Adoration Ministry, Enugu, Nigeria (AMEN), Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka, has warned President Muhammadu Buhari against regime change, urging him to embark on people’s oriented programmes to save his government from going into extinction.
Fr. Mbaka gave the warning during his 2020 edition of the Crossover Night ministration, advising the federal government to take swift moves to create jobs to prevent Nigerian youths from embarking on restiveness that may consume the regime. The event, which held at the AMEN Arena, Enugu, was tagged, “Cornucopia of New Miracles from God.”
The Spiritual leader of the Adoration Ministry also took a swipe at the country’s legislators, especially members of the National Assembly (NASS). According to the controversial cleric, the nation’s lawmakers could best be described as “kidnappers”, maintaining that unless the Buhari administration hastened to genuinely start taking care of the youths, they (youths) “will rise and end the current political system”.
We’ll Disgrace Terrorists In 2021 —Buratai
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has said that the Nigerian army will shame and disgrace the Boko Haram and Islamic States for West African Province (ISWAP) terrorists in 2021. Buratai gave the assurance at a sit-out night to usher in the 2021 New Year at the TY Buratai Institute for War and Peace, Buratai in Biu Local Government Area of Borno.
He said the troops of Nigerian army had done a lot in the fight against insurgency in the North East in 2020, adding that they were committed to decisively deal with all forms of insecurity in the country.
Buratai urged the troops to dedicate themselves to the task of eradicating terrorism by maintaining the tempo in 2021 with more determination and action to end the insurgency in the country. He also urged the troops to work with more discipline and courage, adding that the military had the responsibility to solve the nation’s problem of security. According to him, they must work hard to win the confidence of Nigerians.
Mr. Joseph Simeon is an Editor/Content Creator at Naija Buzz News. He is an experienced content creator. He currently leads a small group of talented writers at Naija Buzz News. He previously served as the Relationship Editor at 1Push.Ng. He studied Public Administration at the Federal Polytechnic Idah, Kogi State, before proceeding to Kaduna Polytechnic Kaduna for his Advance Studies in Public Administration. Simeon loves and enjoys playing football.