Boko Haram

Governor Zulum reacts to Boko Haram attack on his convoy; Arewa berates Federal Government

Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, Governor of Borno State

The death toll on the terrorist attack on the convoy of Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State has risen to 30 (12 policemen, 5 soldiers, 4 members of a government-backed militia and 9 civilians).

Naija Buzz News had earlier reported that 15 persons lost their lives in the gruesome attack.

The governor on Saturday said that the situation facing Borno State was a tough one, adding that the Boko Haram terrorist group had an “ultimate wish to take over the state.”

This is the second time Governor Zulum’s convoy would be attacked by the terrorist group. He was attacked first in July 2020.

The Police Command in Borno State confirmed the attack and death on the governor’s convoy. The force further revealed that the governor had state officials, federal and state lawmakers in the convoy which was attacked.

According to reports, some of the federal lawmakers includes; a senator representing northern Borno, Abubakar Kyari; House of Representatives members, Mohammed Monguno and Bukar Kareto, who represent Marte, Monguno, Nganzai, and Mobbar Kukuwa, Guzamala, Abadam federal constituencies respectively.

The Borno Commissioner of Police, Bello Makwashi, further noted that the police under his command “would not relent in providing the needed security for the people of the state at all times.”

“On September 25, 2020, at about 12 pm, the security convoy, which was heading for Baga in respect of the government’s effort to relocate indigenes of Baga to their ancestral home came under heavy gun attack by armed men suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists a few kilometres from Cross Kauwa. The security convoy returned fire and successfully repelled the attack.

“In the ensuing gunfight, however, casualties were recorded on both sides. Unfortunately, eight policemen and three members of the Civilian Joint Task Force paid the ultimate price. Thirteen other persons sustained injuries and were rushed to a hospital for treatment.”

Governor Zulum in his reaction to the assassination attempt on his life expressed sadness over the killing of 11 of his security personnel attached to his convoy;

A statement issued by his spokesman, Mallam Isa Gusau, on Saturday reads below in parts;
“Governor Babagana Zulum is saddened by this unfortunate carnage. He shares the grief of the families of these 11 priceless heroes to whom Borno shall remain grateful. The governor prays for the repose of their souls and urges all stakeholders to remain committed to ongoing peacebuilding efforts.

“The situation facing us is a tough one but we must choose between doing something which gives us some hope and doing nothing which will leave us more vulnerable to Boko Haram’s ultimate wish to take over Borno and bring it under their sovereign brutal administration.”

Reacting to the development, the apex northern socio-political group, the Arewa Consultative Forum, berated the Federal Government and the military over the terrorist attack on the governor.

The ACF in a statement titled, “ACF condemns another attack on Governor Zulum,” issued through its spokesman, Emmanuel Yawe, said; “We are alarmed that for all the assurances we have received from the military and the Federal Government of an improved security situation on the Boko Haram front, the deadly attacks and killings have continued regardless.

“These attacks have therefore raised questions on the ability of the military to ensure the safety of internally displaced persons to return to their homes. Finally, both the military and the Federal Government have a lot of questions to answer on what is going on in this endless war against insurgency.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Naija News

To Top