Good Morning Nigeria! Here’s our picks on today’s top stories cross major Nigerian Newspapers. Enjoy!
Kaduna Tribunal upheld El-Rufai’s election, dismisses Ashiru, PDP’s, petition
On Monday, the Kaduna State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal dismissed the petition of Alhaji Isah Ashiru, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the March 9 governorship poll in the state.
The Justice Ibrahim Bako led three man panel ruled that Ashiru’s petition lacks merit, adding that the petitioners did not provide any factual proof that INEC was wrong in declaring El-Rufai winner of the election.
Melaye says tribunal’s ruling not valid because he is not “Senator Dino Melaye”
Senator Dino Melaye, the lawmaker representing Kogi West Senatorial District, has appealed against the nullification of his election by the Kogi State National/State Assembly Election Tribunal.
The senator noted that the person sued at the tribunal as “Senator Dino Melaye” was not the same as the person who contested the poll and declared winner as contained on Form CF001.
The election tribunal panel led by Justice A.O Chijioke had ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to conduct a fresh election within 90 days.
Mr. Melaye through his lawyer, Rickey Tarfa (SAN), noted that his client’s name as on Form CF001 submitted to INEC is “Melaye Daniel Dino. Read more
Ex-Governor Abubakar says he approved N8.9billion for payment of contractors; EFCC says he lied
Ex-Governor Mohammed Abubakar of Bauchi State has admitted that he approved the transfer of money from the state government’s account two days before he handed over to his successor.
Abubakar noted that he approved N8.9billion and not N19.9billion for contractors who did some work for the state government under his administration.
But the anti-graft however faulted the ex-governor’s claim, saying that he had issued 20 cheques in the name of a bank manager and not contractors. The EFCC further noted that the contracts listed were not even executed. Read more
Buhari orders immediate evacuation of 640 Nigerians ready to return from South Africa
President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the immediate evacuation of Nigerians in South Africa who are willing to return back home.
Buhari’s decision came following the report of the special envoy he had sent last week to see President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa and convey Buhari’s deep concern over the intermittent violence against Nigerians and their businesses in SA. The envoy further urged the authorities in SA to take visible measures to stop violence against black Africans.
DSS reveals some people are plotting to set Nigeria on fire
The Department of State Services (DSS) alleges that some people were plotting to set Nigeria on fire. The secret service consequently urged the public to fake news and warn those who spread fake news to stop or face the consequence.
The statement was issued by Peter Afunaya, the spokesman for the DSS.
Mr. Joseph Simeon is an Editor/Content Creator at Naija Buzz News. He is an experienced content creator. He currently leads a small group of talented writers at Naija Buzz News. He previously served as the Relationship Editor at 1Push.Ng. He studied Public Administration at the Federal Polytechnic Idah, Kogi State, before proceeding to Kaduna Polytechnic Kaduna for his Advance Studies in Public Administration. Simeon loves and enjoys playing football.