Good Morning Nigeria! Here’s our picks on today’s top stories cross major Nigerian Newspapers. Enjoy!
Petroleum Minister Timipre Sylva says Nigeria is a laughing stock
in the oil and gas sector
Mr. Timipre Sylva, the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, on Tuesday said that Nigeria is a laughing stock in the way it runs business in the oil and gas sector.
“We have to bring down our cost of production of crude, as we are presently a laughing stock in the way we do our business,” he said on Tuesday in Abuja when Mike Sangster, the Managing Director of Total Exploration and Production, Nigeria, led delegation from his company to visit him.
Federal Government to challenge $9.6billion UK Court judgement in the US
The Federal Government is set to challenge the judgement of a United Kingdom Court granting Process and Industrial Developments Limited permission to seize $9.6billion worth of Nigeria’s assets.
Mr. Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information, in a statement in Abuja revealed that the Federal Government would challenge the UK court order in another court in the United States of America.
I did not met with anyone nor receive any money for the purpose
of overthrowing Buhari – Sowore
The man spearheading the #RevolutionNow protests, Omoyele Sowore, has denied allegations that he met with foreign collaborators in Dubai and received millions of dollars to overthrow the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Mr. Sowore said that the DSS lied against him, adding that he never visited Dubai or the United Arab Emirate, adding that he had provided his local and foreign bank account details to the DSS to show that he never received any money from anyone or organization for the purpose of overthrowing Buhari.
According to him, the #RevolutionNow protest was to address the crises of corruption, maladministration, insecurity and mismanagement of the economy.
Finance Minister Zainab condemns UK Court judgement
Mrs. Zainab Ahmed, the Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, has described the $9.6billion UK court judgement against Nigeria as an assault on Nigerians.
“This matter that has brought us here today is a very very weighty one, an award of $9.6bn is equivalent to N3.5tn. N3.5tn in our annual budget will be covering for us the personnel cost which is about N3.2tn and some,” she said.
“So this award that is unreasonable, that is excessive and exorbitant, is also unfair and it is an assault on every Nigerian. It is beyond trying to compensate for a commercial interest. It is an assault on each and every Nigerian,” she added.
EFCC recovers $314,000, N373million, arrests 28
suspects on FBI lists
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Tuesday said that it has arrested 28 and recovered $314,000 and N373million from the suspects in connection with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) probe involving 78 Nigerians.
Mr. Ibrahim Magu, the Chairman of the anti-graft, revealed that the recoveries were made following collaboration between the EFCC and the FBI.
CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, says no record of P&ID Ltd
Godwin Emefiele, the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, alleges that there is no record of the contract between the Ministry of Petroleum and P&ID Ltd.
Emefiele described the alleged deal as a “fraudulent contract” between the Ministry of Petroleum Resources and P&ID LTD under previous administration.
The CBN governor further noted that the foreign company lied about investing money in the contract in Nigeria.
Mr. Joseph Simeon is an Editor/Content Creator at Naija Buzz News. He is an experienced content creator. He currently leads a small group of talented writers at Naija Buzz News. He previously served as the Relationship Editor at 1Push.Ng. He studied Public Administration at the Federal Polytechnic Idah, Kogi State, before proceeding to Kaduna Polytechnic Kaduna for his Advance Studies in Public Administration. Simeon loves and enjoys playing football.