The deadly Boko Haram terrorist group briefly took control of two local government areas in Borno State.
The terrorist sect invaded Gubio and Magumeri LGAs on Wednesday evening in a coordinated attack. They however withdrew from the LGAs on Thursday morning.
According to reports, Gubio and Magumeri have no military presence as troops were recently withdrawn from the areas.
Wednesday attack displaced hundreds of thousands who resides in the areas, many other residents were also abducted by the insurgent.
The well armed Boko Haram terrorists, who came in large numbers, after comfortably attacking the areas without any confrontation, took away food items, tractors and other items seized from the areas.
Zanna Gubio, the Caretaker Chairman of Gubio LGA, confirmed the attack in his area. He revealed that the council Headquarters and other places were attacked by Boko Haram terrorists around 6:30pm.
First they invaded the area around 6pm, performed their magrib prayers around 6:30pm, before they launched their attacks on armless civilians.
“It is unfortunate that a week after deadly attack that took place in Gubio, which led to the withdrawal of troops, another group of armed insurgents stormed Gubio town at about 6pm, performed their magrib prayers at about 6:30pm in Gubio mosque before wreaking havoc on innocent civilians, and setting ablaze houses and public structures,” Zanna Gubio said.
“I am currently in Maiduguri for the swearing-in ceremony of the newly appointed commissioners, and all of a sudden, I started receiving distress calls that my people are under Boko Haram attack.
“Although, I cannot give you the actual number of casualties for now, but from all indications and the reports I have so far, the insurgents have taken over Gubio shooting at sight and burning structures without confrontation,’’ he noted (as seen on Vanguard)
In the second local government, Magumeri, the terrorists also destroyed the local government secretariat, public buildings and residential buildings (including a house belonging to Usman Zannah, a member of the National House of Representatives).
The lawmaker who reacted to the incident confirmed that his house and other properties in his hometown were set ablaze by the insurgent.
“Two local government areas of Gubio and Magumeri where I hail from have been overrun by Boko Haram,” Hon. Usman Zannah said.
“As I speak, all good houses in Gubio and Magumeri have been set ablaze, including my House and the council secretariat. My people have been displaced, and there is nothing we can do than to bring survivors into Maiduguri.
“It is unfortunate that the insurgents took advantage of troops’ withdrawal from the affected areas to wreak havoc without confrontation.”
“With first hand information at my disposal, no life was lost but a member of CJTF in his uniform in Gubio was taken away by the insurgents who also carted away several tractor tyres in Magumeri after destroying houses and public structures in both towns,” Zannah stated.
Ogbodo ThankGod is currently the Managing Director/CEO/Group Chief Editor at Naija Buzz News Network. He was the Chief Editor at NaijaBuzz.News before his new top leadership role. Ogbodo has years of experience in the Nigeria Media Industry and has co-founded some media companies. He is the founder of Ogbodo Solution Nigeria and 1Push.Ng. He loves playing football and is a strong supporter of Lionel Messi who he describes as the greatest footballer of all time.