Wetin Dey Happen

NSCDC official beaten to death for killing 10 Boys Brigade members who were on procession

Boys Brigade

On Monday, an official of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) identified as Adamu Abdullahi and another man suspected to be a police officer, were reportedly beaten to death for killing about 10 members of the Boys Brigade.

The unfortunate incident believed to be premeditated happened around 1am when the boys from St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Madaki, and two other churches were on an Easter procession.

Report has it that the NSCDC official had earlier wanted to drive through the crowd, but was prevented by the brigade.

The NSCDC official was however eventually allowed to pass through after intervention by a pastor.

But the man was said to have returned back after dropping off the occupant in his car, this time, he returned with the other man said to be a police.

Abdullahi allegedly switched off the headlamps of the car and rammed into the youths, killing about 10 of them instantly and injuring about 30 others.

“Immediately we saw what happened, we held the driver and the man with him and beat them up in anger. We wanted to burn the car, but we were stopped,” Meshach Michael, an eyewitness, said.

“The incident happened around 1am. A salon car with the logo of civil defence was prevented from passing the road because of our procession,” Michael Adeniran, a member of the Boys Brigade, said (as seen on Punch).

“However, when our pastor prevailed on us, we allowed him to pass. After dropping off his girlfriends in his house, he drove back with his car and cleared our members. There was one other person with him in the car,” he added.

Mary Malum, the spokesperson for the Gombe State Police Command, who confirmed the incident, revealed that 10 persons were killed.

“There were 10 deaths and 30 injured victims are receiving treatment at the state specialist hospital and other private health institutions,” she said.

Bello Makwashi, the Commissioner of Police in the State, however said that the other occupant in the car was not a policeman, adding that it was an accident caused by brake failure.

Elias Tstakis, the ECWA Secretary, who spoke about the incident said; “We discovered that the two men were deployed in the government house, but they chose to kill innocent teenagers.”

President Muhammadu Buhari also expressed deep sadness over the incident which he described as very unfortunate.

“President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed deep sadness over reports of the killing of some Christian youths during an Easter procession Sunday night in Gombe, and reprisal killing of the law enforcement officials allegedly responsible for the tragic incident,” Buhari said in a statement issued by his aide, Garba Shehu.

“Describing the violent actions as “very unfortunate,” the President extends condolences to the families of the victims, while wishing the several injured speedy recovery.”

“Joining the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Gombe State chapter, and the State Government in appealing for calm, President Buhari also decried the reckless driving as well as “quick resort to self-help and mob action.”

“We must always be mindful of the peaceful action of others while resisting the urge to take the laws into our hands notwithstanding the gravity of provocation.”

“The President commends the leaderships of the police and the National Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for steps taken in bringing the situation under control, and promising further investigations into the sad incident.”

“President Buhari prays Almighty God to comfort the bereaved families and grant rest to the souls of the departed victims.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Naija News

To Top